27 July 2011

Blow-Up Architecture for Throwing Parties Anywhere





Inflate, a UK-based inflatable-architecture firm, has extended its business into the United States, which is fantastic news for those of you sick of partying at the same old crappy watering hole: Now, you can throw together your own chic little bar anytime, anywhere, just by blowing it up.

The company, founded in 1995, specializes in minimalist temporary structures, from ice cube-shaped huts to big, Bucky Fuller-esque domes. Most are made out of ripstop nylon, and they're inflated by intermittently blowing fans (instead of an inner tube), which makes them sturdier and more flexible than plastic inflatables.

Mostly, they're used for business events: fashion shows, retail shops, trade shows, and the like, but you could totally buy 'em for private parties, too -- if you've got the cheese. Inflate's U.S. rep Norman Roberts tells us: "the smaller units start around $1,300, the large 80' diameter domes run around $70,000 and there are many many options in between." Yoikes.

Inflatable buildings, of course, aren't new. (Read a fascinating history about them here.) What sets Inflate apart is sleek design. The company was founded by a Royal College of Art grad who obviously knows the difference between a kiddie jumphouse and something that looks like a cross between an igloo and an alien colony. Which is to say, awesome.

No comments:

Sarthak Batra - My journey

My photo
Hi, Myself Sarthak Batra, a fine artist and I've done BFA in Applied arts from Amity University, Noida. I am a computer freak. I love art and also love designing computer generated graphics. Adobe Photoshop is my favourite software as it gives me freedom to design plenty of things. I like swimming,playing basketball, dancing and singing. i am fond of computer games. I have a keen interest in watching movies, cartoons and some documentaries too. Here , you will find some of my works. Also I'll share my thoughts about various techniques that i've learned in my journey till now. I'll be sharing with you information about various domains in art. This blog is for students,art enthusiasts,hobbyists and people searching for art and design content. Hope you'll enjoy reading this blog and will get yourself better informed. Farewell.
Custom Search